Policy IGBC - Title 1 Parent Involvement Policy
IGBC - TITLE I PARENT INVOLVEMENT POLICY
1. The School District of Altoona defines parent involvement as the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including:
A. that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
B. that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
C. that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
D. the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
2. The school district will put into operation programs, activities and procedures for the involvement of parents in all of its schools. Title I programs, activities and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents of participating children. Title I schools will:
A. convene an annual meeting to explain the Title I program to parents and inform them of their right to be involved in the program;
B. offer a flexible number of meetings;
C. involve parents, “in an organized, ongoing and timely way,” in planning, review, and evaluation of Title I Programs;
D. provide parents with an opportunity to submit dissenting views to the district if a schools’ Title I program plan is not acceptable to them.
3. Initiate and maintain personal communication with parents (letter, phone calls, notes, parent’s survey, monthly newsletter, local news paper, etc.). Title I schools will:
A. provide parents with a description of the curricular and student assessments including proficiency levels students are expected to meet;
B. provide opportunities for regular meetings, including parent teacher conferences, where parents can provide input regarding any activity that affects the growth and development of the student;
C. provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and required school reports in a language parents understand;
D. implement a school-parent compact that outlines the responsibilities of each party for improved academic achievement.
4. The Altoona school district will coordinate and integrate Title I parent involvement strategies with Head Start and any other state-sponsored early childhood programs.
5. The Altoona school district will conduct, with the involvement of parents, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parental involvement policy. The evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in parental involvement activities. The school district will use the findings of the evaluation about its parental involvement policy and activities to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary (and with the involvement of parents) its parental involvement policies.
6. The school district will, with the assistance of its schools, provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training, and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement.
Parents/guardian of students participating in Title I program services shall be informed annually of this policy and of the opportunities available for the parents/guardians to get involved in their child’s educational program and in improving student achievement.
Initial Adoption: 12/15/86
Final Adoption: 01/05/87
To print this policy, highlight the text, go to File, Print, and choose "selection" for your print range.