Substitutes Employment & Information
- Sub pay for Teacher Subs is $110/day.
- Sub pay for Support Staff Subs is $90/day or $11.25/hour
- Our subs get a free lunch; just pick up your Free Lunch Ticket at the school office when you check-in for the day
- Our district uses Frontline Absence Management (Aesop), the nation's leading automated substitute placement and absence management system serving nearly 4,000 districts nationwide
- Are you interested in subbing in our district, but don't have an education degree? If you have an Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree in an area other than education, and have a desire to become a substitute teacher, check out our sponsorship process below (Sub License Process for Non-Education Teacher Subs).
Call or email Joyce Orth, 715-839-6032 if you have questions.
Already a sub? Keep your contact info up to date in Frontline and complete our inactiviation form if your status changes and you're no longer available to sub:
STEP 1: Complete your Application in WECAN
(WECAN will begin accepting applications for new subs each school year on August 1)
STEP 2: Please bring:
- Copy of teaching license (Wisconsin teacher license* or sub license required)
*For new graduates: Verification of Program Completion certificate required
- Completed Background check form
- Completed I-9 Form (complete Section 1)
- Completed W-4 Form (bottom of page 1)
- Completed Race/Ethnicity Questionnaire
- Completed Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- Social security card and drivers license, or passport
Support Staff Subs - Please bring:
Are you interested in subbing in our district, but don’t have an education degree?
If you have an Associate Degree or Bachelor Degree in an area other than education, and have a desire to become a substitute teacher please take the steps outlined below!
- Obtain and submit a letter of recommendation from a member of our staff or a community member of the School District of Altoona. The letter of recommendation should indicate that it is a recommendation for the school district to sponsor your substitute license.
- Fill out a background check form.
- Submit your letter, resume, transcripts (to document your associate's or bachelor's degree) and background check form to Joyce Orth, District Office, 1903 Bartlett Avenue, Altoona WI 54720, or by email. (Please note: We do not recommend that you send your background check by email due to the personal information that is needed.)
- Submit your Substitute Teacher application in WECAN.
- You will be contacted to arrange an interview with the administration once you have taken these steps and your background check has been completed.
- You will need to make arrangements to observe a class (half-day) in one of the schools, and meet with the principal of that school.
- If you are selected for sponsorship, you will be required to complete the CESA 7 Substitute Teacher Preparatory Program. CESA 7's online program provides flexibility so that participants may complete the required coursework when it's most convenient. Through CESA 7, participants will receive access to the Master Teacher onlne learning platform to complete the Foundations of Effective Substitute Teacher Training courses. CESA 7 will also provide support and guidance with the Department of Public Instruction's application process for the Substitute Teacher License. More...
Submit your registration to CESA 7 (cost = $175*):
After program completion, complete Step 2 for teacher subs (see Teacher Subs - Application Process section). You will be added to our substitute teacher pool after the employment paperwork (Step 2) has been submitted and processed.
After subbing five (5) days in our district, we will reimburse* your $175 program registration fee
The School District of Altoona is an equal opportunity employer. Personnel hiring and administration in the District are to be conducted so as not to discriminate against applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation, disability/ handicap, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy, national origin, creed, color, political or religious affiliation, genetic information, ancestry, arrest or conviction record, military service, genetic information, use or nonuse of a lawful product off school premises during nonworking hours, declining to attend a meeting or participate in any communication about religious or political matters, or any other reason prohibited by state or federal law. Exceptions to this policy may only be made in accordance with state and federal laws.
Reasonable accommodations shall be made for qualified individuals with a disability or handicap, unless such accommodations would impose an undue hardship to the District. The District shall also accommodate the religious practices of an employee to the extent required by law.
Complaints regarding the interpretation or application of this policy shall be referred to the administrative staff and processed in accordance with established procedures.