Welcome to Altoona Intermediate School
AIS is made up of 4th and 5th grades and is an innovative, and progressive learning community in which all students engage in a rigorous curriculum and are held to high academic expectations. All students are provided an encouraging, safe and supportive learning environment and each child’s social and emotional growth is nurtured to prepare students for their future.
AIS principal, Andrea Steffen is one of 12 public school principals statewide to receive the Herb Kohl Education Foundation Principal Leadership Award in 2021!
I would like to take this time to introduce myself and to tell you about the Altoona Intermediate School, AIS. My name is Andrea Steffen, and I am the Intermediate School Principal. Prior to being a principal, I was the Curriculum Director for our district, and prior to this, I was a classroom teacher, special education teacher, and reading specialist. My most important role, though, is as a mom. I have three sons who attend our district, and I have a huge vested interest in our schools. Altoona Intermediate School, An Innovative School, (upper elementary school) is made up of 4th and 5th grades. Below is our vision and mission, our commitments, and our goals.
ALTOONA INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (AIS) MISSION:
AIS is an innovative and progressive learning community in which all students engage in a rigorous curriculum and are held to high academic expectations. All students are provided an encouraging, safe and supportive learning environment and each child’s social and emotional growth is nurtured to prepare students for their future.
We Live It, We Breathe It, We Do It…
- We commit to creating a partnership with our students, families and community members.
- Excellence isn’t a destination because excellence continues to shift. Our world is changing and shifting. We commit to being a culture of continuous improvement and growth mindset. Students and staff in our school are a collaborative community of learners.
- We commit to providing student-centered, flexible, personalized learning for all students and to become innovators in public education in order to prepare each student for a rapidly changing future.
- We commit to designing and delivering a guaranteed and viable curriculum that enhances student ownership in the learning process. Along with staff, students set learning goals and reflect on and monitor progress to reach high levels of mastery.
- We commit to fostering meaningful personal connections, fostering character development and to providing a positive and safe learning environment to enable students to learn, grow, lead and succeed.
- We value the partnership between you, the parents/guardians, and our school. This is essential for the success of our children. You know your child best and our partnership will help ensure that we create a safe/nurturing environment and help us to set high expectations for his/her success. Communication is important to us. In addition to communication from your child’s classroom teacher, we will send out communication to everyone from the main office through our monthly newsletter, Skylerts (email), and on our school webpage. https://www.altoona.k12.wi.us/schools/intermediate/index.cfm
I can’t speak highly enough of our staff! They are truly a community of learners. Our staff values continuous professional development and engages in learning and discussion of best teaching practices, which in turn leads to continuous improvement for our students. We also value and continue to grow in our ability to provide personalized learning and project based learning and take pride in the progress we have made in these engaging instructional methods.
Welcome to our school! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you ever have any questions.